Becca Groves Header
 photo home_zps1cc7d3c8.png photo start_zpsa2c6c1a1.png photo motherhood_zps5b7bd8a5.png photo grovestead_zpsa872b0de.png  photo bees_zps9cbb22f2.png  photo contact_zps6de91cd9.png

Our Vegetable Garden

The weather turned nice in Minnesota and Rory and I hit the yard with wild abandon. We had been visualizing our game plan all spring-that-was-really-winter-still. So when the weather turned lovely, we got busy.

Rory worked on his raised bed vegetable garden and I planted a raspberry patch (more on that later). Ivar was a champ and either napped incredibly long naps or came out to kick it with us in the back yard. He is such a content kid.

Rory preps the ground for his raised bed.


One side of the frame is tarped to block topsoil weeds.



The finished frame.


Rory made his soil from scratch. He had to pick up bulk supplies from a garden wholesaler: compost (with manure of course), peat moss, and vermiculite.




The only way to mix the large quantities (almost 40 cubic feet) was rolling it around in a large tarp.


Rory followed a technique called Square Foot Gardening, where every crop gets planted in its own square. This lets him rotate the vegetables and stagger the harvest all summer long.
Next he'll plant lettuce, spinach, broccoli, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions and potatoes.

2 comments:

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

How did I miss this post? So cool, you guys! I really admire all the effort, planning and WORK that has gone into this garden already! I'm sure it will yield a fabulous harvest.

Heck, if I can get my two pots planted with a few flowers this weekend and keep them alive through the summer, I will count it a personal gardening success. (Don't judge; different standards for different folks... :)

Becca Groves said...

Beth! Somehow this post posted, there were lots of comments and then it disappeared and I just reposted it again. Strange. That's never happened before.

This is ALL Rory. I'm with you and your two plants. In fact, I have a house plant here that I've kept alive for a year now, and I don't mean to boast, but...go me!